Alia Bhatt Joins the Tumbbad 2 Shoot as Sequel Expands
Alia Bhatt has moved from July’s confirmed Tumbbad 2 casting announcement to the shoot, joining Sohum Shah and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
Commentary & Analysis ·

The casting itself is no longer the fresh development. Bollywood Hungama reported on July 14 that Alia Bhatt had officially joined Tumbbad 2, while India Today separately documented Sohum Shah’s social-media welcome the same day. What changed this week is that current reports place Bhatt inside the active production rather than only on the cast announcement artwork.
- Bollywood Hungama formally reported on July 14 that Alia Bhatt had joined the Tumbbad 2 cast alongside Sohum Shah and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
- India Today reported on July 14 that Sohum Shah confirmed Bhatt’s addition through social media and welcomed her to the franchise.
- The Times of India reported on August 22 that Bhatt had been spotted on the Tumbbad 2 sets and was now joining the ongoing production.
- NewsBytes reported on August 22 that Bhatt had joined the production and been seen with crew during the current shoot.
- Bollywood Hungama’s July casting report lists Adesh Prasad as director and says the sequel is scheduled for theatrical release on December 3, 2027.
The Times of India reported on August 22 that Bhatt was spotted on the Tumbbad 2 set with members of the team. NewsBytes also reported that she had joined production. That is the useful headline for readers who already saw the July announcement: a confirmed casting has progressed to shooting. It avoids recycling the earlier location-and-schedule story that thenetimes.in has already published.
Who is confirmed in the Tumbbad 2 cast?
Bollywood Hungama’s July 14 report names Alia Bhatt, Sohum Shah and Nawazuddin Siddiqui as the principal cast members currently attached to the sequel. India Today carried the same trio and attributed Bhatt’s entry to Shah’s own announcement. Bollywood Hungama also lists Adesh Prasad as director and Sohum Shah Films with Pen Studios on the production side.
Those are firmer details than speculation about the characters themselves. Current coverage has not publicly established a full plot map for Bhatt or Siddiqui, so thenetimes.in should not turn set sightings into invented role descriptions. The safest formulation is straightforward: Bhatt is in the film, Shah and Siddiqui are also part of the announced cast, and reports now say she has begun working on the shoot.
Why does Alia Bhatt’s casting change the sequel’s scale?
Tumbbad built its reputation around atmosphere, folklore and a relatively contained star profile, so adding Bhatt changes the commercial conversation even before character details are known. India Today noted in July that her arrival triggered debate about whether the franchise could retain the eerie identity that made the 2018 film distinctive while expanding its reach. That is a discussion about positioning, not a verdict on the finished sequel.
For the makers, the casting creates a bridge between a cult horror brand and a much broader mainstream audience. Bollywood Hungama’s July report also places Bhatt opposite two actors already associated with intense, character-led work in Shah and Siddiqui. The combination makes Tumbbad 2 easier to market as both franchise continuation and major-event casting without revealing the narrative function of any one performer.
What remains undisclosed about Alia Bhatt’s role?
The most important missing information is also the easiest place for entertainment coverage to overreach. Neither the July confirmation cited by India Today nor the current on-set reports provide a complete, officially explained character description for Bhatt. NewsBytes says she has joined production, but the report does not establish the twists or mythology her character will drive.
Bollywood Hungama’s July report does provide a scheduled theatrical date of December 3, 2027, which gives the production a long runway. Until the makers release character material, a teaser or a plot synopsis, the responsible line is narrow: Alia Bhatt is confirmed for Tumbbad 2 and is now reported on set. The sequel has moved forward, while the role itself remains deliberately under wraps.
This article is original commentary and analysis by The NE Times. Background facts were referenced from Bollywood Hungama, Times of India, NewsBytes, India Today.
You may also like to read

Bigg Boss Agniparikshe Opens Kannada 13 to Commoner Entries
Bigg Boss Agniparikshe turns Kannada Season 13 auditions into a televised selection series, with viewer voting helping choose commoner entrants.

What Did Saira Banu Say About Dilip Kumar on Her 82nd Birthday?
Saira Banu’s 82nd-birthday post recalls childhood celebrations and says she was “hopelessly smitten” with Dilip Kumar from age 12.

Toxic Eyes a Reported 12,000-Screen Worldwide Rollout
Toxic is reportedly targeting about 12,000 screens worldwide for August 26, giving Yash’s Kannada-led film an unusually large pan-India launch.

What Should You Stream in India From August 24 to 30?
Verified OTT releases for August 24–30 include Indian Game Show, the One Hundred Years of Solitude finale, Chumbak and Anbe Diana.
More from this section
More
Arjun Rampal and Gabriella Demetriades Register Marriage in Goa
Arjun Rampal and Gabriella Demetriades registered their marriage in Mapusa on August 21 under Goa’s Uniform Civil Code, officials told PTI.

Gunmaaster G9 Teaser Reportedly Set to Play Before Toxic
Gunmaaster G9’s teaser is reportedly set for a theatrical pre-show with Toxic on August 26, using a major release weekend to launch its campaign.

Aamir Khan Reunites With Ashutosh Gowariker for Lalkaara
Aamir Khan and Ashutosh Gowariker are reuniting for Lalkaara, a reported 1952 India-Pakistan cricket drama now moving ahead in Aamir’s slate.